DIY State String Art
As I'm in the midst of adding new home decor pieces to my home I can't help but to indulge in a little more do-it-yourself projects. I have a slight obsession with pinterest and when I came across these state art pieces I said I wasn't going to pay $60 for one, Instead i'll make my own for about $20! Although not perfect I think I did a pretty good job! Who knows maybe I can start making and selling my own haha;)
Any who, if you would like to make your own keep reading!
What you will need:
- Slate of Wood- Michaels ~$14 for a 12 x 15.5in
- Home Decor Chalkboard Paint - Cascade -Michaels ~$4
- 4 packs of String - $0.39 @ Michaels
- 16 gauge x 1-1/2 nails $0.97 @ Walmart
- Printout of your state
- Paint your slate of wood in the color of your choice and allow to dry completely; I dried overnight.
- Find an outline of your state online and print via Blockposters.com.
- Cut out state, position and tape to board.
- Hammer nails along the perimeter of the state ensuring that you have equal spacing and a nail at each point for a defined shape.
- Remove paper outline.
- Draw a heart in the location of your choice with a pencil.
- Hammer nails along the outside of the heart. Note: The more nails in your heart the less dense your string art will be.
- Now begin your string art!
- Start by knotting one end to one of the center heart nails. In a wrapping motion go back and forth around an outer perimeter nail and the center heart nail. Note: Each center heart nail will be the point for ~8 of the outer state perimeter nails.
- Continue this around the entire state until complete.
Tips, Points To Remember (&things I learned):
- It's okay to skip nails in tough places (a crowded edge near the coast in my case).
- You don't have to start with a fresh knot at each center heart nail. You can flow and from nail to nail freely.
- Add superglue to the knots to secure them in place once state is complete.
- Make sure the nails are hammered in well to avoid loosening during stringing.
Check out the tutorial below!:)
Vanessa Michele. Christian. Writer. Content creator. Giver of love. Collector of quotes. Yoga enthusiast. Forensic Scientist by day.
A 26 year old southern girl who loves blogging from my vantage point. When I’m not writing you can find me diving into a book with a glass of red wine, snapping photos, hitting my mat for a good yoga sesh, or planning my next trip.