I couldn't do a food series without including Jollof Rice which is a famous West African dish! It includes a number of spicy flavors all packed into a rice dish and is soo good! Here's the recipe I like to use to prepare it.
- 1-2 Chicken breasts (can also use beef)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp anise
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion
- Seasoning pork or ham (I use 2 strips of bacon)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubs
- 1/4 tsp dried red pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cup rice
- optional: 2 cups of vegetables
- Chop chicken, season with salt, pepper, ginger and anise.
- In large frying pan, heat oil and add meat and cook until tender.
- Add chopped onion and bacon to oil in a small frying pan and saute' for about 5 min.
- Add water, tomato past, bouillon cubs, red pepper, and thyme to large pot. Stir well and simmer over low heat for about 10min.
- Add cooked rice to frying pan with onions and bacon and mix.
- Add chicken, rice mixture to large pot. Stir well, cover and cook over low heat for 35-40min.
- Serve and enjoy:)