Greece is definitely a country on my travel wish list! With all the beautiful islands, rich culture and most off all GOOD FOOD! I was introduced to this chicken souvlaki with tzatiki sauce and spanakopita dish by an old coworker who happens to be greek. I just HAD to learn how to make it for myself. So here's the recipe I used to create this dish.
- 1lb Boneless chicken breast
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- Minced garlic
- Ground pepper
- 1 roll of phyllo dough
- 3 cups chopped spinach (frozen or fresh)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- Salt and pepper
- 2/3 cups (one 5.3oz container) plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Garlic (optional)
- Combine spinach, onion, feta, egg, flour, salt and pepper into large pan and cook on med-high heat covered for ~15min.
2. Thaw phyllo dough according to directions on package. Cut roll of phyllo dough in half, long ways. Note: The sheets are really thin and dry easily so work quickly.
3. Grab about 5 sheets for each triangle. Apply a spoonful of melted butter down the sheet.
4. Fold sheet in a "flag folding" motion until you get a final triangle.
5. Once all triangles are folded, place onto baking sheet, add a little melted butter on top and bake at 350 deg. for 20-30min until golden brown.
1. Cut up chick in small 1in pieces and season with oregano, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
2. Cook in skillet stovetop until well done. Another option: Put chicken on skewer sticks and grill!
Combine greek yogurt, cucumber, and lemon juice. Add salt, pepper, oregano and garlic for taste.
That's it! Super easy recipe for a super easy greek meal! Enjoy!
Watch the video here: